Author Topic: NKP 587 during better days  (Read 456 times)

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
NKP 587 during better days
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:18:32 PM »
Back when I was working regularly at the Monticello Railway Museum over at Monticello IL,  NKP 587 stayed with us for a while.

MRM has a drop pit and she needed some driver work, so she came for a visit. A visit that became longer than planned. Part of the agreement for use of the facilities and storage was we would get to run her when she returned to service. If you rode those 587 trips, I worked flagman on every run she made over there, riding the platform of IC business car 7. Most of the trips were in the rain.

Anyway, these pics are from the day we fired her up for the first time and ran her into Monticello for some break in time and a turn on the wye. Since I still had time available on the HOS clock, I was asked if I would mind handling conductor duties for the run. Like I had other more important things to do... 

That's me in the flannel riding 1189 holding the radio.

Good times.

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
Re: NKP 587 during better days
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »
Thank you for sharing the pictures - we had family that lived in western Illinois and the highlight of the trip was always driving by the museum. I believe if memory serves me correct that we actually saw the 587 in transit to the museum.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: NKP 587 during better days
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »
Wow. I liked 587, but I never appreciated how much of a big butt that 22RA tender gave her until your pictures.
If in doubt, Notch it out!