Author Topic: ITM's Move Into Logansport  (Read 16394 times)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: ITM's Move Into Logansport
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
Well thankfully I 65 misses it completely.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
I am actively avoiding Hamilton County, where possible. Not hard when I live in Logansport, but I may have to plan an alertnate route, when I head to Indy for the Brickyard 400, in September.
Come down SR 29/US 421. You'll only be in Hamilton County for about 2 miles.

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 03:49:36 AM »
Didn't think about that.
20 down. Time taken to complete: 4 3/4 years.

dgovert

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
I am actively avoiding Hamilton County, where possible. Not hard when I live in Logansport, but I may have to plan an alertnate route, when I head to Indy for the Brickyard 400, in September.

I'm sure Hamilton County will be just fine without you. 

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »
Currently our Board of Directors and Shareholders are just waiting for the I.T.M. to pay the railroad off. Once said and done, it could be anywhere from now until two months from now. Currently our President is down ill, which has slowed us down from doing a lot with I.T.M. Also fighting with the T P & W to get our interchange switch put back in. As for what equipment we still have is mostly maintenance of way, one motor car, two push carts, and a weed sprayer. We last stored storage cars here in between 2008 through 2011. We were talking about doing it again up until we found out that our switch was removed a year or so ago.

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
Currently our Board of Directors and Shareholders are just waiting for the I.T.M. to pay the railroad off. Once said and done, it could be anywhere from now until two months from now. Currently our President is down ill, which has slowed us down from doing a lot with I.T.M. Also fighting with the T P & W to get our interchange switch put back in. As for what equipment we still have is mostly maintenance of way, one motor car, two push carts, and a weed sprayer. We last stored storage cars here in between 2008 through 2011. We were talking about doing it again up until we found out that our switch was removed a year or so ago.

That's a lot of obstacles to get over or around.

Brian Michael

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 12:31:27 AM »
ITM should have started several months ago securing a good place to move. ERR is going to need a lot of tie replacement and construction work done.  I grew up around the ERR and there hasn't a lot of railroad movement since the MOW camp cars were parked at Garden ST in Buck town. 

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »
Here are some recent views of the Logansport & Eel River Short-Line's track.  About 1.7 miles of main is still on the ground.  It is single track except 900 ft. of double track between 6th and Ottawa Sts.

The first photo is the east-pointing switch off the TP&W at Van.  The west-pointing switch at Van was removed some time ago.

At the first highway crossing, Business-24 at the north end of Cole Hardwood, the crossing signals have been bagged and a rail removed.  Crossbucks have been removed at other crossings.

Garden St. is the next crossing east of Business-24.  The open area at left (north) was the Eel River RR's roundhouse and shops into the early part of the Wabash RR lease, which began in 1879.  After PRR took control in 1901, much larger shops were built at the Pepsi and former Exide Battery sites.

Ottawa St. looking west toward Van.  The track at left was the Butler Branch (Eel River RR) and at right was the South Bend Branch (Terre Haute & Logansport RR).  The South Bend Branch at right only extends from Ottawa to 3rd St. (ahead).

The 6th St. view is looking east at L&ER's facilities.  This is the Butler Branch.  The South Bend Branch went up the hill at left.

This view is looking west at the shops from the east end of the track, 460 ft. east of SR-25.  It ends near the coal yard for the city's electric power house, which is on the opposite side of the river.  Coal crosses the river on a conveyor.  I believe the power house is closed.

Craig Berndt

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »
Looking at where the track ends, it'd make a good place to link people to a walk or bike ride on the River Bluff trail. A small platform and a pathway to the parking lot and trail and bingo! Caboose rides with a purpose for anyone who would love to utilize them, to get to the trail, without using their own vehicle's gas.

The remaining segment of the old South Bend branch would be usefull for small ammounts of storage, if needed, and the track leading into the property that ITM will be using seems perfect for select setups.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
Thanks for the photos. Can you see anything of note looking west from Third Street?

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the photos. Can you see anything of note looking west from Third Street?

Just the buildings to the north and south of the line.

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 09:27:31 PM »
Just so I understand, how many miles of track will the museum have access to use presently or in the future?

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 10:12:11 PM »
Just so I understand, how many miles of track will the museum have access to use presently or in the future?

Not even 3 miles of track. The L&ER runs from the Van Tower wye area to just barely east of Michigan Avenue. Which isn't very long, at all.

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »
CRBlue: PRR's "Yard X" tracks and roundhouse were west of 3rd St., at right in the attached photo, in the Pepsi & Exide Battery grounds.

Laguna Man: As stated above, L&ERS-L owns about 1.7 miles of mainline.  The real estate owned by L&ERS-L appears to narrowly adjoin the track.  Much of the land adjoining the north and south sides of L&ERS-L's R/W has been acquired by Matthew Warren, Inc., which may be a strawman for the project.

Craig

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 10:41:52 PM »
Yeah but 1.7 miles is bigger then the Forrest park property. Which it replaces.

The running lines will be the WSRY lines.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2018, 10:45:03 PM »

Fun part will be dealing with G&W for operations.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 12:15:49 AM »

What happens if US Rail doesn’t get their contract with Kokomo Grain renewed?

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »
Isn't Matthew Warren, Inc., the company that now owns the former Rockwell/Muelhausen Spring factory at Michigan and Ottawa?

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 09:37:28 AM »
Since Kokomo Grain owns the tracks, even if US Rail is booted out, with the Ortmans being very open to the museum operation, that can be a stipulation to any new contracted operator of the line.  I suspect that if old 1754 could be fixed up, that KG could just hire a crew and run the opeartion on thier own with thier own engine.   US rail does it with a sole GP15-1, the other is down with a burnt traction motor.  NS road units come in for unit trains and go over the G&W operated tracks to Marion and not north to Logansport.  So, 1754 should be able to handle the local freight traffic just fine if she can be gotten running again.  I agree, getting a favorable arrangement, along with the turnout being reinstalled on the G&W/TP&W tracks is a larger hurdle.  If ITM can avoid plugging up the Eel River tracks with stuff, they could run caboose hops with DS50, the two NKP cabooses and the flat with benches to start making $$ on a smaller scale.  Definatly going to be interesting to see how this all unfolds over the coming months and years.  I believe its going to be a very slow process and this is mainly why the coaches went to MTO.  Suspect the diesels will go there as well for now.  Putting the cabooses and flat up north, and I suspect that Monon DS50 will follow.  Could/would give them the means for small train rides, either on WSRY or on the Eel River track eventually. 

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 10:17:02 AM »
Since Kokomo Grain owns the tracks, even if US Rail is booted out, with the Ortmans being very open to the museum operation...

We so sure those warm and fuzzy feelings still exist? If they do, then why did ITM Park their stuff in a field, rather than on Kokomo Grain property some place?  Now ITM will have to truck their stuff a second time to put it on any kind of rails.