Author Topic: ITM's Move Into Logansport  (Read 16683 times)

Trainman19

• Superintendent
ITM's Move Into Logansport
« on: July 24, 2018, 05:04:56 PM »
Figured it'd be easier to start a new topic to document the process of moving what the museum kept to their new home.

That said, I have this to report, today:

I was running an errand for my grandparents on the north side of Logansport and spotted some interesting items on the grounds of ITM's future home in town. Most noticable was a pair of boxcars that are surprisingly on their own wheels instead of flatbed trailers and several display signs, near a pair of shipping containers. I'd post the photos I took, but they're on my phone that I don't have it logged into the forum.
20 down. Time taken to complete: 4 3/4 years.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: ITM's Move Into Logansport
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
Rumor was they were attempting to purchase the former Eel River Railruad for a new home base.

Did they ever manage to get the shareholders of the Eel River together to sell the property?

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 05:50:58 PM »
Yes please. If you going to post this. Include the location. it is honestly more important than pictures.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »
Yes please. If you going to post this. Include the location. it is honestly more important than pictures.

Along Washington Street. Used to be a factory on site, but I forget the name of the company. Plenty of space to set up shop and establish their new home.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »
That would be the L&ER property.

THe old factory that is gone was a rubber plant, now city owned parcel.

I knew something was up, someone was going thru and combining parcels and cleaning up deeds on the L&ER. Also someone had been cleaning up the land itself.

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
Guess ITM got the OK to put the two boxcars and the signs there, to get the ball rolling on their end.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 07:01:37 AM »
Plenty of space to set up shop and establish their new home.
Where is ITM going to get the money to build any buildings on that site? But, before that, has anyone done an environmental study on that site to see if anything can be built there? Or, is ITM just going to put up chain link fences around the property and cover them with tarps so the public can't see their collection of rusting artifacts?

Yes, I know. Questions without answers.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
L&ER does still have a small engine shop for the moment. I don't know that there is actually anything in it at this point.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:54:15 AM »
L&ER does still have a small engine shop for the moment.
Google Maps satellite view shows a couple of buildings with tracks leading to them north of Miami Ave and east of 6th Street. Is that what you're referring to?

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 12:02:23 PM »
Google Maps satellite view shows a couple of buildings with tracks leading to them north of Miami Ave and east of 6th Street. Is that what you're referring to?

Yes. One is an old school speeder shed. Of which ITM did have some of those.

laker2555

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
So if ITM's new location is the old factory site north of Washington St., the only way to get there by rail is to come up from the south.  However, in this 2016 street view, the track has been cut at W. Market St.  Hopefully after they are done trucking stuff in there won't be issues getting reconnected to the outside world. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »
From the Photo, It looks like all they need to do is put the Section of Rail back in. A quick fix.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »
That is all that is needed to legally "sever" the line for tax purposes and such.

The L&ER does have technically one customer. The lumber yard gets a few cars each year. L&ER simply contracts with the TP&W to place the cars. Or at least they did. it looks like they havens got a car in ages.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:05:24 PM by indyspy »

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
Here is an overly detail video on the L&ER line

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
Switch off the TPW is pulled.  From what I’ve heard, ITM will have to pay G&W to put it back in.

Still, has ITM bought out the Eel River?  LJ would know I believe.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »
Video from Mar 31 2017 shows the main line G&W/L&ER river switch intact, what isn't intact is a siding switch just off the mainline that it looks like someone turned into a permanent derail. Funny thing is it looks like that switch has an on US&S switch machine on it.

Doesn't matter anyway. L&ER trackage needs some work before anything moves on it, and a missing switch is a minor issue.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:23:43 PM by indyspy »

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 04:36:37 PM »
Track hasn't seen anything on it in years, especially by the shop building. Last use was car storage, years ago.

Needs a lot of new ties, rails, and ballast to even handle a caboose excursion, let alone a pair of Geeps and coaches. Another thing they'll need is to at least work with the city to but more signage at the Garden Street crossing, right by the property, since that's where they'll be most likely to have their trains going in and out from.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 04:46:43 PM »

And to complete the video study.

Ohh well, I guess the Monday to Friday railroaders won't be getting rid of this group of weekend railroaders after all. ITM will survive.

Logansports gain and Hamilton counties loss. I really hate that damn county.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 04:48:51 PM »
Video from Mar 31 2017 shows the main line G&W/L&ER river switch intact, what isn't intact is a siding switch just off the mainline that it looks like someone turned into a permanent derail. Funny thing is it looks like that switch has an on US&S switch machine on it.

Doesn't matter anyway. L&ER trackage needs some work before anything moves on it, and a missing switch is a minor issue.

If the ITM/HHPA saga has taught us anything is that these things are as much paperwork barrier as a physical one.  Switch might be there physically, but no “interchange” still exists on the books.

Hopefully LJ on here sees this and can fill in the Eel River side of things.

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
I am actively avoiding Hamilton County, where possible. Not hard when I live in Logansport, but I may have to plan an alertnate route, when I head to Indy for the Brickyard 400, in September.

Hopefully LJ on here sees this and can fill in the Eel River side of things.

A person with inside knowledge would certainly help, if they are allowed to share.