Author Topic: ITM's Original Plans for Indianapolis  (Read 1333 times)

nkeelin2

ITM's Original Plans for Indianapolis
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
During my time at ITM, I heard many stories about the origins of ITM and its purpose. Some of them I have come to believe are false, but others interest me.

As Indianapolis continues to grow again as people are moving to the urban core, I have began to wonder about something I was told about ITM. Please do correct me if I am wrong. In the 1980s, shortly after ITM aquired the Budd Coaches and the F-Units, they ran excursions out of a platform at the Union Station. Did Indiana Transportation Museum have plans to move operations to run out of downtown Indianapolis? I was told they were in the process of acquiring an empty platform at the station, one that still sits quiet today on the northern side. I have attached a found photo of the excursion on the track in question. Some have even told me that Indianapolis ran excursions for the Cincinnati Reds by having the F-Units pulling the Budd fleet at speed from Indianapolis along the current Cardinal line.

Did ITM originally intend in its inception to move operations out of Noblesville and into a space in downtown Indianapolis? Did ITM run active excursions out of the station, and if so are there any photos? Did this deal fall apart? Would ITM be in a different place had they moved operations out of downtown Indianapolis.

CIND 2254

• Global Moderator
  • President
  • Modeling high Hood GP30s on the CERA ca. 1996-1998
Re: ITM's Original Plans for Indianapolis
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
I believe they ran at least one excursion to Bloomington for an IU game, running to crawfordsville via Conrail and then south on the former Monon.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1238450
Modeling High Hood GP30s on the CERA based in Kokomo circa. 1996-1998.

Steve

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »
It has been a while so some of the details may be a little fuzzy but I recall working an excursion train from Union Station to Muncie to pick up a group, I think from Ball State, and bring them back to Union Station, I believe for a ball game, and take them back to Muncie when it was over.  We ran several other excursions from Indy but we boarded at remote locations.  One from somewhere on the south side through town, up to Crawfordsville, then north to Logansport.  Another was a football special on IRR to Bloomington (and out onto Tulip Trestle!) which we boarded at Senate Avenue.

nhensley

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
Who in their right mind would want to do an offline trip in the wider rail network, or go to Union Station, when you can ride a train back and forth between Cicero to Arcadia? 

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:29 PM »
From a 1985 trip to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon in Lafayette:

1. CP-Ames in Crawfordsville
2. south bound on the Monon in Linden

Sorry, I don't know who the original photographer was. Sure wish I had been aboard it that day.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 06:36:28 PM »
I assume liability costs are what handcuffed ITMís ability to run long distance excursions?

Seems they really had some good ones once upon a time.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
 I donít remember the date but I remember standing with my mother in Peru at the crossing of the NKP and C&O and watching one of the trains from Indy bringing a lot of fans up for circus days in Peru, that was many moons ago.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »
I assume liability costs are what handcuffed ITMís ability to run long distance excursions?

Seems they really had some good ones once upon a time.

Partially, yes.  But the severance of the former connections at Tipton (mid-1990s) and Indianapolis (February 2008) certainly didn't help.  Can't go offline if the Class One's aren't willing to cooperate to make it happen.

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 12:11:10 PM »
Partially, yes.  But the severance of the former connections at Tipton (mid-1990s) and Indianapolis (February 2008) certainly didn't help.  Can't go offline if the Class One's aren't willing to cooperate to make it happen.
I'll add to this (knowing this will probably start a flame war) by simply stating that ITM's people knew that CSX was planning on removing the diamond at DX (via abandonment of their Ruby Park industrial track that connected it to the main) and all they had to do was do something in interchange to keep the line open--such as ordering in a carload of ballast or (here's an idea) storing freight cars on the line to make some storage fee money...As it stood, they did nothing...and now they have nothing.

Now, as far as past excursions, they ran to Cincinnati twice, I think...once via the Conrail, once on the B&O. They also ran several trips to Bloomington for IU games. They went to Muncie with the 587 to get it together with 765 to run to the NRHS convention in Chicago in the mid 90's...94 or 96 I can't remember...

Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
I'll add to this by simply stating that ITM's people knew that CSX was planning on removing the diamond at DX (via abandonment of their Ruby Park industrial track that connected it to the main)

Not disagreeing with you or flaming you but was that an "official" abandonment? ITM probably could not have reached DX at that time anyway due to track condition south of Sutherland but no one at the museum was aware or had commented on possible removal of the diamonds. I think our first inkling came via photos posted by BourdonBoy.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »
So many poor decisions or lack of actions back then, so many what could have beens and should have beens.  So many chances to be  top notch operation with access to historic Union Station and being able to run Colts or Pacers specials and so forth.  Now the whole operation is circling the drain.  Hoping for the best.